The Barangay Magsaysay in Lupon, Davao Oriental is the lone regional finalists for the 2016 DOH’s National Search for Barangay with Best Sanitation Practices in Region-XI.
The barangay, under the leadership of PB Rene Ravelo, have met the 100 percent access to safe water supply and 100 percent sanitary toilet facilities for each household, on top of their other community-based initiatives in Solid Waste and Wastewater Management, Clean and Green Initiatives, local legislative measures regarding health and sanitation, and allocating a budget for sanitation.
The Department of Health has bestowed citations and awards to barangays which provided unyielding and exemplary commitment in promoting and ensuring environmental sustainability to their respective communities.
The following criteria were set to choose this NSBBSP winners:
- Must have sanitary toilet facilities as of final validation by Regional Technical Working Group (RTWG);
- Must have access to safe water supply;
- Must have improvement in sanitary toilet coverage during the final evaluation / validation of the RTWG;
- Must have approved Barangay Budget for Water and Sanitation projects and programs for the last 2 years,
- WASH Practices in Public establishments and school/s in the barangay (e.g. Day Care Center); and
- Local Sanitation Initiatives (e.g., solid waste management, wastewater management, clean and green, legislative support and community participation).
The Barangay Magsaysay will vie for the national evaluation along with other regional barangay winners nationwide.
Also, the DOH recognizes the need to push sanitation to become an urgent priority of the local government units and encourage them, especially the communities, to accelerate actions/strategies in improving sanitation for the entire populace.